Recording requirements for documents presented to the Recorder.
- Name of individual person who prepared document. (IC 36-2-11-15)
- Document requires a 2" margin at the top and bottom of the first and last page, 1/2" margins for each side, and 1/2" margins at the top and bottom of additional pages. (IC 36-2-11-16.5)
- Names must be printed or typed below each signature exactly as signed.The name of each person exeucting document must match identically in body of document. (IC 36-2-11-16)
- Notary Acknowledgement: All documents must be properly acknowledged. Requires notary signature, county of residence, seal, commission expiration and printed name of notary. (IC 33-2-11-16.5)
- Must have at least 10 point type (IC 32-2-11-16.5)
- Grantees physical address is required on all conveyances of real property. (IC 32-212-3)
- Auditor endorsement required on real estate transfers.
- Affirmation Statement required on all documents notarized in Indiana. (IC 36-2-11-15)
"I affirm, under the penalties of perjury, that I have taken reasonable care to redact each Social Security number in this document, unless required by law" ________________printed name.
House Enrolled Act
On July 1, 2006, the House Enrolled Act 1114 concerning social redaction took effect.
A document may not be submitted to the County Recorder for recording or filing if it contains a social security number unless the number is required to be on the document by law.
An individual preparing or reviewing a document for recording or filing shall affirm, under the penalties of perjury, that the individual has:
- Reviewed the entire document before submitting for recording or filing for the purpose of identifying and, to the extent permitted by law, redacted all Social Security numbers; and
- Any document that is executed or acknowledged (i.e. notarized) in the state of Indiana, and that by law must have a Prepared By statement, including a persons name, must contain the following statement after the point of prepared by at the conclusion of the document "I affirm, under the penalties for purjury, that I have taken reasonable care to redact each Social Security number in this document, unless required by law (name)."
- The name in the affirmation statement can be typed, hand printed, or signed (printed underneath) and does not have to be the same person whose name appears in the prepared by statement.
Please note: Beginning July 2001, all financing statements involving personal property are to be filled at the Indiana Secretary of State. Only fixture filings are filed with the Recorders Office.