Request a Zoning Variance

The Area Planning Department has an Application for Zoning Variances. A variance is a variation which the board may grant in certain circumstances according to the standards herein set forth from the requirements of the  Unified Zoning Ordinance of Randolph County, which allows the owner of property to use his property in a manner which would be in conflict with a literal application of the requirement of this Ordinance.  For more information, refer to Article XVIII (on page 168) of the Unified Zoning Ordinance.

The Area Planning Department will prepare a “notice of public hearing” to be published in the newspaper using the legal description furnished by applicant. The cost of the publication shall be the responsibility of the applicant. This must be paid for 14 days prior to the scheduled hearing date.

The News Gazette will mail a proof of publication to the applicant. A deed will be needed from the applicant so the Area Planning Department can prepare the legal notice to be advertised in the News Gazette 10 days prior to the hearing. The applicant will be responsible for the cost of notification and publication.

There are three things the board looks at to approve a variance. If these three things are met it may be approved only upon determination in writing. A variance is considered when there are “practical difficulties in the use of the property.” Any approval give by the Board of Zoning Appeals may be appealed by Writ of Certiorari in Circuit Court or Superior Court.